So on further research onto the Angry Laptop Dad thing, apparently not only had SHE bought the laptop with her own money, but he broke into her FaceBook to read the rant in the first place.
Fuck it. I was already kind of bleh at the shooting part but still sympathizing because, like I said, I’ve seen the side of the parent and family dealing with a shithead kid in the family, but that just adds too much to the pile.
Um, time to apologize for supporting an ass and remove my foot from my mouth I guess. :|
WHAAAT? I thought he bought it for her?
AHHH my bad
Anybody want to tell me again that this was good parenting? Hmm?
EDIT: Not that I’m surprised. Someone who will be this violent will also violate a lot of other boundaries, include someone’s right to their own possessions and their right to privacy. And yes, a teen DOES have a right to some fucking privacy from their parents.
Thank you, madgastronomer!
I was very uncomfortable with the amount of people praising this father, because honestly? This was abusive. The man WIELDED A GUN to destroy one of her possessions.
If this had been a husband destroying his wife’s possessions or some other form of non-parental relationship where he’d done this, we wouldn’t be cheering him on. But because he’s her father, he gets applause. Because a lot of people on my feed who approved would have recognized it instantly as a sign of abuse. Because abusers will often do that - destroy property, possessions, or even pets that the abused person loves in order to assert their dominance.
Because his point here wasn’t that she did something dangerous or harmful to herself or others. His point here was that she was not allowed to communicate or express herself in ways he disapproved of. His point was that he was angry because she was able to do something (communicate with friends) he couldn’t immediately dominate and control and so he was going to make her pay for not being totally under his thumb.
Being a teenager doesn’t mean you somehow deserve to have no privacy, no rights, no boundaries, even from your parents. Because fuck yes, you deserve to have the right to say that even your parents can’t do certain things to you. And as for the “well, I know teenagers can be real shits” arguments. That’s ageist for one and if teenagers are being shits, maybe it’s because they’re being shit on at home or school or something.
Teenagers are human beings. They tend to act in the ways that they are treated. I remember very clearly that as a teenager, I extended the greatest respect and kindness to those adults/teachers/etc who gave me the same. I only really got rebellious when the adults around me treated me like I was contaminated or a criminal waiting to happen or a dangerous animal that needed to be kept in line and punished if I didn’t obey on command and had my own thoughts.
Only us fucking white people, yanno. This man videotaped himself humiliating his kid after hacking into her facebook account and using a gun (showing that he both owns and has the proclivity to use it) and people call him a great father. Child protective services aren’t coming to his door even though they should. You do not respond to your child venting some harmless steam to friends by GETTING A GODDAMN GUN.
If this dude hadn’t been white? There wouldn’t be nearly as much applause.
Also, and this is getting a bit personal, I really resent the “you owe me for everything, you should be grateful I even gave you life” theory of parenting wherein your parent(s) total up everything they do for you, from food to any gifts they give you and use it later to show how much you OWE them, and what a problem you are for them and how you should be groveling and grateful that they even bother with you.
It just teaches the kid that there are no such things as gifts or someone being nice. It teaches them, basically, that everything is being totaled up, so don’t take too much stuff and don’t ask for things even when you need them because that shit will get put on your tab.
Reblogging again for the awesome response.
Bolding for emphasis.
This sums up just about how I feel on the whole thing.
As a kid with an unstable father who owns guns? Yeah, this is terrifying.
Not because he used the guns, but because he was applauded for it.
What the fuck, world.
- apolloandellipses likes this
- soidreamtiwasastarfleetcommander reblogged this from scooterpiebanana
- hieroglyphical reblogged this from hiddenjumprope
- hieroglyphical likes this
- revolutionaryweebkarla likes this
- whogrooveson likes this
- gothmaureen reblogged this from distortionsoul
- pocketgiraffe reblogged this from face--the--strange
- drowning-in-ennui likes this
- sententiola likes this
- crafts-and-stuffgirl12 likes this
- sigma-enigma reblogged this from kyrianne
- haunted-by-waters likes this
- distortionsoul reblogged this from caclancydanger
- vorpalbookmaster likes this
- hiddenjumprope reblogged this from knittingandsljivovica and added:
- knittingandsljivovica reblogged this from kiriamaya and added:
- shapeypuppington likes this
- perversetoamiracle reblogged this from torayot
- nostalgia-shake likes this
- lakeinyoureyes reblogged this from shimeivalentine
- whipmyfrobackandforth reblogged this from xybutt
- xybutt reblogged this from ukuzihs and added:
- bubbybobble likes this
- mommy-cuteella likes this
- tal9000 reblogged this from genderbitch
- ccfmv likes this
- ukuzihs reblogged this from shotabooties and added:
- celestialdeth likes this
- shotabooties reblogged this from shimeivalentine
- deletingfreckledzombie reblogged this from tiny-puppy-teeth
- aktmile likes this
- literarysins reblogged this from velociraptier and added:
- orthodoxwaffle reblogged this from thaddeusscreams
- shimeivalentine reblogged this from kyrianne
- kyrianne reblogged this from bemusedlybespectacled and added:
- kyrianne likes this
- velociraptier reblogged this from bemusedlybespectacled
- thaddeusscreams reblogged this from bemusedlybespectacled
- bemusedlybespectacled reblogged this from -lucid-
- tiny-puppy-teeth reblogged this from maddlington and added:
- -lucid- reblogged this from southcarolinaboy
- thetimeforgutsandguil reblogged this from lucypaw
- lucypaw reblogged this from victorianaaa and added:
- lucypaw likes this
- victorianaaa reblogged this from kiriamaya and added:
- nakedpancakeshindig reblogged this from kiriamaya
- peppermintdemon likes this
- seriesofnonsequiturs likes this
- the-capm likes this